All members of the Midlands and Northern Rhodesian Ridgeback Club undertake to abide by its Code of Ethics. Club members:
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operations to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as standalone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) All Breeding Stock to be X-rayed under the BVA/KC Hip and Elbow Dysplasia Schemes
16) A breeder/stud dog owner shall only breed from Kennel Club registered Rhodesian Ridgebacks which conform to the Breed Standard, and are believed to be clear from hereditary defects and any other underlying health conditions, are mentally and physically sound and not suffering from acute nervousness or aggressive tendencies. No dog should be used at stud before the Owner has the BVA/KC Certificate or Overseas equivalent from their country of Origin showing the Dog’s Hip and Elbow scores. This applies to all Breeding Stock born after 1/01/2017.
17) Bitches shall not be mated or have any other form of insemination prior to 2 years of age or produce a litter after her eighth birthday, and shall not be bred from on more than one occasion in any period of twelve calendar months. No bitch shall be expected to produce more than 3 litters or 30 puppies, whichever is produced first, in her lifetime.
18) All puppies shall be carefully examined for dermoid sinus by at least two experienced people a few days from birth and at least twice thereafter before leaving for new homes, any puppy discovered
to have a sinus before leaving the nest can be operated on and then re-homed with registration documents at rearing costs only, with a contract that it will be spayed/castrated within a stipulated time period. When a sinus is detected after the puppy has been sold the breeder shall, in consultation with the new owner: a) agree a financial contribution towards the operation to remove the sinus and neuter the puppy OR b) take the puppy back and either reimburse the owner OR undertake, in writing to supply another puppy. In this event, the puppy may be operated upon for the removal of the sinus and neutered. Thereafter it may be retained or re homed without charge. All new owners shall be made aware of the facts about sinus, its implications for the Breed and how to detect its presence.
19) Any puppy sold over the age of 12 weeks shall be inoculated and no puppy shall leave the breeder under the age of 7 weeks but preferably not until 8 weeks old. They shall be accompanied by a certificate of pedigree, diet sheet and details of worming and must be identified by Microchip.
20) Any mis-marked puppy shall be described as such and sold as ‘not to be shown or bred from’. This shall be reflected in the price. Ridgeless puppies should be re-homed with registration documents, at rearing costs only, with a contract that it will be spayed /castrated within a stipulated time period.
21) Puppies shall not be sold through dealers, pet shops, ‘trading posts’, ‘puppy ranches’ etc. Ideally, they shall be sold direct to their new homes, every effort having been made to ascertain that the new owners have the facilities, time and commitment to correctly raise, train, exercise and appreciate a large, active but sensitive hound.
22) Stud dog owners shall satisfy themselves as to the suitability, breeding and condition of any bitch presented to them and also as to the conditions under which any resultant litter would be reared. If the owner of the bitch is not a member of the Midlands & Northern Rhodesian Ridgeback Club they shall be required to indicate that they will adhere to this Code of Ethics by signing, prior to mating, a copy to be retained by the owner of the stud dog.
23) No member shall engage in false or misleading advertising or other falsification of their Rhodesian Ridgebacks, nor shall they malign judges, fellow competitors, breeders or owners by making false or misleading statements about other dogs, member’s practices or character.
RECOMMENDATIONS. It is recommended that:
• All puppies be sold with Insurance cover. (excluding Dermoid Sinus if applicable)
- Check for Dermoid Sinus are undertaken by at least 2 competent persons i.e. experienced breeders, Veterinary Surgeons with some knowledge of Dermoid Sinus and its detection.
- Bitches should not be bred from for the first time over the age of 4 years.• No Member shall breed more than 3 litters in any 12 month period.
- All puppies should be endorsed by using the Kennel Club Endorsement system at the time of Registration.
- All breeding stock be health tested for J.M.E., D.M., E.O.A.D. and any other relevant health tests
- All Members should apply to join the KC Assured Breeders Scheme.
- Please consider donating to a Breed Club Rescue for each puppy you sell or if your dog is used at stud.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.